Should air bags deploy in all accidents?
Front driver and passenger air bags deploy if a vehicle impact is more severe than the pre-determined design threshold level. Below this level, these air bags may not deploy. The threshold velocity is higher when striking a solid, deformable barrier such as a parked car or sign pole, or when a soft-impact frontal collision involves an engine, hood or front upper fenders. Deployment levels can also vary depending on a vehicle’s overall structure and the angle at which it’s struck.
In addition to the front driver and passenger air bags, some vehicles are also equipped with side-impact airbags and/or curtain airbags. These will only deploy in a side impact of sufficient force.
Please refer to the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) section in your owner’s manual for more information.
Other FAQs you might also be interested in…
- I can’t get my Bluetooth® phone to work in my Subaru. What should I do?
- How do I know if my phone works in Subaru vehicles equipped with Bluetooth® technology?
- Which Subaru models have Bluetooth® technology?
- I would like to inform you regarding a mistake in a location or a missing location or street on my vehicle’s navigation system; how can I do this?
- How can I purchase an updated DVD for my Subaru’s navigation system?